I love checking the mail, I really wish that mail came everyday! I guess it’s because most of our bills are online so if there’s mail it’s usually something for me. I love flyers, coupons, postcards, my pay stubs, but today I got something different. I had gotten a Facebook message last week from a friend in San Diego saying that she was sending me a parcel, but what I got was even better, it’s not for me, nor do I keep it. It’s for a grade six student from West Des Moines, Iowa. Every student in her class sent out a travel log at the beginning of the school year. You fill out some information about your city; climate, landmarks, industries, and other neat facts. Then send her school a postcard from your city, and then pass the log onto someone else.
This journal started in Iowa, went to Kansas City, down to San Diego, up to Canada, and I’m express posting it to Sweden tomorrow.
While filling out the questionnaire I learned some information about Vancouver.
- It rains on average 165 days a year (feels like more sometimes)
- From November to March it rains on average between 5-7 inches a month
- Average household income is $63,000
- Average detached house is $1.2 million
- English is not our first language- 49%, all other languages equal 51%
- Population greater Vancouver is 2.1 Million
- Green peace started here – 1971
- Vancouver ranks third in the world as the best city to live in- for quality of life
- Vancouver is Canada’s third largest city; Toronto and Montreal are bigger.
- On June 21st, the summer solstice, the sun rises as 5:07am and sets at 9:21pm. On December 21st, the winter solstice, sunrise is at 8:04am, and sunset is 4:16pm
- You can ski, golf, bike, sail in Vancouver all on the same day.
- Stanley Park is 1001 acre urban park, bordering the city. It is 10% bigger than New York’s Central Park. A 12km path circles the seawall. It’s used by walkers, runners, cyclists and roller bladers.
- The Vancouver Aquarium ranks in the top 5 around the world.
- Gasoline Prices are about $1.36 per liter, there are 3.79 liters per gallon, that would make it $5.15 a gallon.