Carters Birth Story

I’ve never really been into birth stories until I was pregnant. In fact the thought of labor was not appealing- not that I think anyone really enjoys it.

My water broke November 4th at 5am. Brent was finishing up his third night shift and we both discussed that when my water broke and if he was at work that I would call. But it was 5am, and I figured that Brent was on his break and he really only had two hours of work left. So, I thought it would be best just to let him finish his shift and I would tell him when he got home. In the meantime, I was so excited! I couldn’t go back to sleep, and I wasn’t having any contractions yet, so I just laid in bed waiting for Brent to come home.

Once Brent came home we called the midwives and they said just to call back when the contractions are 5 mins apart and if they are not by dinner time then call just to follow up with them. I did make an acupuncture apt the week prior to help with labor and my midwives suggested that I still go.

Well by 5pm I called the midwives, just having irregular contractions. So they said just stay home and by 9am we’ll have one of the midwives come to our home. (This is one of the MANY reasons why I LOVE midwives).

At 2am in the morning I wasn’t sleeping, or really coping with the pain, the contractions were 5 mins apart and lasting 45 seconds. I paged South Community and we made a plan that I would be to go to Womens’ get checked and get something for pain. When we arrived I found out that I was only 2cms. (I was so disappointed) babe was checked over and the heart rate was good, so then I got a morphine and gravol shot and went home.

I was able to sleep through the night, and saw the midwives in the am, I was only 3cms but now my contractions had stopped. The morphine delayed it all, once again being really discouraged they offered me a “induction cocktail”

IMG_4277 IMG_4278 IMG_4279

I have to say that I was really nervous taking this cocktail, but honestly I didn’t even taste the Castro oil, I mostly tasted almonds and apricot juice. I did this cocktail twice, at noon and repeated it again at 4pm. After taking the first dose I did notice my contractions starting to pick up again, so then I started talking to my doula asking her to come over after I took the second dose. When she arrived at 4:30 my contractions were back into full swing. (By now its been 36 hrs since my water broke, the only reason that the team didn’t induce me was because I was group B strep negative, and I hadn’t developed a fever).

The midwives stopped by our home again at 5pm, checked me, and I was only 3-31/2cm’s, so she did a sweep to help induce me.

We went for walks, and kept on timing the contractions, by around 8pm the doula figured that I had moved from “early labor” to “active labor” meaning I was around 5cms dilated. By 9pm I was wanting to go to the hospital, the contractions were lasting longer than a minute and were 3-4 minutes apart.

When we arrived I was checked again, unfortunately I was only 4 cms. At this point I started to cry, it had been 40 hours and I hadn’t gone anywhere. And by now the team was getting a little nervous that my water had been broken for so long. We ended up agreeing that I would get an epidural and see if that would just allow my body to relax and maybe, just maybe it would help me dilate further.

By 10pm I got the epidural. I didn’t even feel it- thanks to the laughing gas! At midnight (now Nov 6th) they checked me again, and I hadn’t gone anywhere. So they wanted to induce me with oxytocin. (This helps make your contractions stronger, but with the epidural I wouldn’t feel it).

At 2 am, I was finally making progress, I hit 7cms….. and thats where I stayed till noon. The team and doctors at Women knew how much I didn’t was a c-section but by this time it was 53hrs of labor, and babe head was stuck and I wasn’t dilating. So even though it wasn’t an emergency, they said that if they waiting any longer it could become one. So I got my name on the OR slate, and was next for a c-section.


This is me attempting to be happy, but mostly excited that I’m going to meet our baby.


By 1:12pm- Baby VanderRose was born! Brent and I had a plan that he would be the one to announced the gender, and the team allowed Brent to do so. They held babe up, and Brent announced it was a boy.

Carter Jacob VanderRose, Born Nov 6th at 1:12pm, weighing 7lbs 10oz, 19.5 inches long.



3 thoughts on “Carters Birth Story

  1. I used the same labour cocktail when I had Sarah. Excepted mine used mango nectar. It has been 4 years and I still can’t drink mango juice. Lol I am so happy for you and Brent!

  2. I really enjoyed your story amy – I am so sorry that you had to go through so much – but the prize as the results are grand – we are looking forward to meet carter – love aunty barbi

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s