Since moving into our house I’ve had ideas, plans on how I (we) want our space to look, the vibe we want from our home. Since Brent and I love the farm life, and really wish that we could live on a farm we wanted more of a country, cottage feel.
With that comes some work (unless you want to spend lots of money buy new furniture). It’s a slow process of finding the “right” piece and then fixing it up.
I’ve bought this dresser off of a bidding site for less than $40 (and the lady only lived 5 mins away!)
I wanted it for our entry way. A place to store some shoes, Izzies items, and just random odds and ends that we need.
I’ve done LOTS of reading on chalk paint. I bought some of the Behr from Home Depot (in the states) and used that for Carters wooden crates, and for two shelves. It honestly was really thick, I had to add lots of water to the container and it didn’t “glide” on that easy. So when it came to actual furniture I wanted something that wasn’t going to waste my time (since it’s been rare for me to have some time to do projects). I decided to go with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (yes it is expensive) I also bought the wax as well (also expensive) from the Passionate Home in Langley. For the paint and wax it was $95 but since I got the piece of furniture for such a good price, and apparently one can of paint can do quite a bit of furniture out I thought that I would try it for myself.
Because the dresser was such a dark wood, the ladies at the Passionate home told me that I would probably have to do 2-3 coats of paint. Another amazing feature about chalk paint is that it dries very quickly. I was able to do 3 coast, each one taking about 30 mins to do.
Then I used the clear wax to finish up the dresser. It took about 25 mins to apply. I had read online that waxing is a huge pain, but I really didn’t find it a pain, but my arm did get sore pretty quickly with the same motion over and over again.
I learned that hard wear is expensive! SO i just decided to spray paint the hard wear that it came with (my brother had left a flat black can of spray paint from when he was here this summer, so I used that. Thanks Andrew!)
I did two coats of spray paint, let it dry outside (in the sun) for an hour and then reapplied it to the dresser.
This is the final result. Im quite happy with it!! Actually.. I LOVE IT. And I probably used about 1/6th of the can of paint and about that in the wax as well.
And total time actually spent on the project, around 3 hrs.
Next…. the dresser for the nursery.
Just because I love my tulips that I got for my Birthday from Brent.